History of Prestwick Airport
Prestwick Airport current figures:
- Has operated an airfield for more than 100 years
- Employs over 320 staff
- Current terminal capacity of 2.5 million passengers
So how did it all begin?
The first time aircraft were recorded on the site of Prestwick airport was in 1913. However, there were no developments on the site until 1934, when it was used by a few light aircraft.
In 1935 the land was acquired by David McIntyre with the intention of being used as an airfield for training pilots. Developments included a control tower, hangarage and lecture rooms. This marked the beginning of Scottish Aviation Ltd.
World War II marked a new era for Prestwick airport; training was halted and the site was used as a base for US aircraft deliveries. Scottish Aviation Ltd began production of aircraft at Prestwick – a role which was upheld until 1998.
After WWII the 17th century Orangefield House, which the airport had been built next to, was put into use as a terminal building. Orangefield house was demolished in 1966 to make way for a new taxiway. All was not lost, however; the wooden floors of the house can now be found in the Aviator function suite of the new passenger terminal. In 1958 plans were underway to develop the airport.
By 1962 the new control tower had been erected, and in 1964 the new passenger terminal was opened.
Possibly the airport’s most famous moment came with the visit of Elvis Presley in 1960.